Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Amélie


Amélie (2001) 129 mins.
directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet
starring Audrey Tautou, Matthew Kassovitz, Serge Merlin

Audrey Tautou plays Amélie, a young French girl who has constructed her own fantasy world around her.  In order, to get what she wants, she must face reality and do things she never thought she would be able to do.

Q Says:
  this was our first movie on the road that had subtitles.  i’ve never seen it before and at first i found it hard to eat, read the ‘titles and take notes all at once.  after i got done eating i was able to settle and focus.  i find it hard to watch foreign films that are subtitled because i feel like i miss the visual story being told.  it also seems that most of the ones i’ve seen are VERY visual (ie: “ crouching tiger, hidden dragon”) so i have to watch them more than once.  anyway…
 at the heart of the movie is audrey tautou and she is an absolute delight and fun.  if she wasn’t cast in this film it would not have been the same at all.  she totally makes the movie come to life and embodies this character perfectly.
 there are a few scenes that jump out in my memory.  one is the “game” that she plays with the boy she likes as they leave notes for each other all over the town and the revenge she takes on the mean produce guy was pretty funny.
 i have also noticed that it’s more difficult for me to write about movies i like as opposed those i do not.  it was easy for me to criticize “aladdin” because i believe that i pick up on the negative aspects of a movie more. 
 i didn’t find that many negatives in “amelie” and i really had to agonize on what to talk about.
 i thought this movie was original, quirky without trying too hard to be quirky, and wonderfully shot.  i would definitely see it again!!

L Says:
  Most people have a problem with foreign films.  They don't like subtitles and they hate dubbing.  Both can be a bit distracting.  When I was younger, I used to watch TV in my room with the captions on.  Always.  Just because I could.  So, I guess I'm used to watching and reading TV at the same time.  I like a lot of foreign films.  To me, most of them feel grittier or more real.  The filmmakers are more likely to push the envelope.  Watching Amélie was no problem at all.  I remember seeing this at the movie theater on Siegen (remember that place?).  I instantly fell in love with it.  At first, I think, it was because it was in french.  But, then I saw it again, and realized how great it really was.  I love the feel of it.  The best way for me to describe it is to say it feels like coming home.  I'm not sure if that makes much sense, but I'll try to explain.  At the end, (SPOILER ALERT!) when Nino shows up at Amélie's place and no words are spoken, no words need to be spoken.  She kisses his face and he kisses her face.  It's like he's come home.  She has been waiting all this time for him.  It's a beautiful moment.
  The whole movie is charming, a bit quirky and heartwarming.  It is shot with an artistic flair that really suits the style of the movie.  It also has a green and yellowish hue going which just enhances the magical feeling.  The soundtrack is perfection and adds to the overall feel.  Audrey Tautou IS Amélie.  There is no one else.  No one.  Without Audrey, Amélie would not exist.  Her character is a dreamer, unique, and brave.  She takes chances.  The games she plays are clever and fun.  One of my favorites, is the traveling gnome game she plays with her father.
  This is easily one of my favorite movies ever.  I love the feel of it.  Everytime I watch it, I wish I could live like Amélie in a small town, in a small apartment on my own.  This movie does exactly what movies are supposed to do and transports you into Amélie's life.  If you have not seen it, you are missing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment